By: Park East Staff
Last Sunday, Park East Animal Hospital was pleased to take part in the annual Halloween Howl at Carl Schurz Park. This is a great event that supports dog runs in the park - and is also a lot of fun! There were adoptable dogs to meet and a costume contest that everyone enjoyed. The Park East table was well stocked with trick-or-treat goodies for all the costumed pups, as well as information and friendly smiles for their human friends. We hope you enjoy the slideshow below as much as we enjoyed taking part in the Howl!
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it is important to keep the safety of our pets in mind as we prepare for the holiday season. Thanksgiving is a special time for family and friends – the following tips can help keep you and your pets happy and healthy.
House rules – please be sure to establish clear expectations for guests and children. Ideally, your pets will not be fed any items without asking your permission first. Guests should also be encouraged to avoid leaving unattended food on easy to access areas such as a coffee table. The trash should always be hard to access!
As a general rule, even though turkey, plain green beans, a small amount of plain cranberry sauce, or plain macaroni are unlikely to cause GI upset, by introducing too many new foods at once, there is a higher risk for gastrointestinal upset.
Keep pets away from the oven and other hot surfaces. Strings, foil, and other packaging items can be harmful if swallowed. Please make sure all of these materials are disposed of properly.
Below is a list of specific foods to avoid:
Raisins or grapes - these have been shown to cause kidney failure in dogs.
Turkey bones - they can become lodged in your pet's esophagus and can splinter, leading to perforations of the intestinal tract.
Fruit pits (including avocados) - can cause intestinal blockage; some contain cyanide, a potent toxin.
Onions or garlic - in large amounts, alliums can cause toxic anemia.
Nutmeg - can cause seizures in large amounts.
Nuts (especially walnuts and macadamia nuts) - can cause neurological and cardiovascular deficits.
Alcohol - pets are highly susceptible to alcohol poisoning.
Desserts - even very small amounts of dark, semi-sweet, or baker's chocolate can be toxic to your pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, a toxic stimulant. Additionally, artificial sweeteners such as xylitol can cause acute hypoglycemia.
Decorative plants or flowers - remember that countless numbers of plants can be toxic to dogs and cats. Please be sure to keep new plants out of reach - especially lilies, which cause acute kidney failure in cats.
If you believe your pet has ingested any of the above items, please call Park East Animal Hospital at 212-832-8417. Park East is open 24 hours a day, including Thanksgiving Day, and a doctor is always on call. From all of us at Park East, we wish you a happy and healthy Thanksgiving holiday!
Welcome to the Park East blog! Contributions from our doctors and staff will be archived and organized here for your reading pleasure. Timely advice and reliable information from your trusted veterinary team.